The girls and I had a long talk yesterday about going green(er) and we came up with our list of things to attempt for the summer:
1) no plastic bags! we have our reusables, we have a new poop and scoop shovel for the dog’s mess, we have a goodbyn for every member of our family and we have reusable plastic and glass containers for purchases at the market
2) no car for travel to anywhere under 8km, we have our bikes… and a grocery carrier that we’re borrowing for the summer
3) only local buying for 2 months, 100 miles only, st jacobs market every thursday
4) unplug – we are committed to only watching 2 hours of tv per week and have pledged to only fire up the laptop to update our homeschool blog/send twitter updates and check email no more than once a day – no surfing!
5) no retail stores! we have everything we need to make it through the summer…. we already have swimsuits, shorts, floppy hats and sunscreen (unless the kids hit a growth spurt, or parents hit a shrink spurt… even then, we’re committing to second hand only)
6) no dryer use, we have a line and we will only use it
7) we are following the 80/20 meal rule, 80% raw, 20% cooked (at the most)
The plan starts July 1 and we’ll update when we can, posts will be photo heavy, but I’m confident we can make our two rechargable camera batteries last for the whole summer.